Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Head of the Household

"Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ loved the church and handed himself over for her"
~ Ephesians 5:25

I'm the head of my household. I have to lay down my life for my wife. When I have children, I'll have to lay down my life for them as well. In the past eight months, I've been learning to do that. It hasn't been easy, but my life has a new purpose and meaning that it did not have before. It is my vocation. It is my calling.

Before I met my lovely wife, I had lots of freedom. Boredom, too. I had money; I had lots of time to spend as I wished. I could pretty much go where I wanted or do what I wanted, so long as I showed up 9 to 5 for work. I was miserable. I spent many an hour simply feeling aimless and passionless. I didn't have anyone to live for.

Now, I have a wife, a house and a dog. There are honey-dos, a wife to love and comfort, and a dog to entertain and feed. There are schedules to coordinate, charts to follow, payments to make and precious little free time. But, I have purpose. I'm much happier than I was when I had "freedom."

Live for God. Live your vocation. Live.

No comments:

Post a Comment